Tuesday, February 28, 2012

37 weeks

My last appointment was yesterday. Seems bizarre, after visiting the office once a week for the past 2 months! Bryan and I really thought that they would send me to the hospital to have surgery right after my appointment. (Bryan's reason is that he is "ready to be done being pregnant" and mine was because I thought by now I would be dilated much more that they wouldn't want me to go all the way home, for fear that I could go into labor on my own and we would be rushing to have a c-section). But, since I was already 4 cm dilated and 75% effaced last week, they didn't even want to do an exam, for fear that they would put me into labor. Instead, I was put on the baby monitors to check their heart rates and sat down with the doctor that is doing the surgery on Thursday (provided we make it that far - but I figure, we've made it this far, so why not?).

Here's what we can expect:
I am not allowed to eat or drink anything (including water!) after midnight. (Not sure how I will be feeling, since I've been drinking so much water it's as if I'm hooked up to an IV of it, and have noticed that if I got just the slightest amount of time without it, that I feel "different"). We need to arrive at the hospital by 6:15am (which means we need to leave the house at 5:40!). I will have an ultrasound to check the babies head position, get blood drawn, and hooked up to an IV. (If both heads are down, I will be induced, and none of the following process is relevant).  The anesthesiologist will be in to talk to me and sometime between my arrival, all the checking and the talking, I will be brought into the operating room for an 8:15 surgery. Once in the O.R., I will get a HUGE shot in my spine that has 2 meds in it; one will numb me belly down, and the other is pain medication that will last a little bit after the surgery. Then they will lay me down, put a sheet up so I can't see anything, check to see if I am numb, and "cut" away.  I was told that the surgery will last about an hour. Bryan is allowed to be with me the entire time, except for the shot. And then, of course, in a flash, we will be parents of 3 children!!
I wonder if these details will be any different in 2 days, when I post the introduction of our 2 new bundles of joy.....
until then....

No comments: